Courtesy of Hope Zvara, Mother Trucker Yoga:
Improving your health isn't just for looks. It helps you live your best, with the most important parts of your body working optimally. Heart health is a big part of that well-being, but one thing drivers often struggle with is getting their heart rate up on a daily basis.
Getting your heart rate up each day:
- Trains your muscles to work more efficiently.
- Helps you move more with ease.
- Has a positive impact on your metabolism.
Ideally one would want his or her heart rate up for at least 15 minutes each day, but when you're spending most of your day behind a steering wheel, that can be challenging. So, let's start small.
Get out and walk.
Walking is still the number one form of movement you can do to take care of your body.
Instead of focusing on steps, focus on time.
- You can get five minutes of a brisk walk in going around your truck while you wait to unload.
- You can use the step of your truck to get your walk on.
- You can walk to the parking lot.
- You can pre-plan your truck stop choices so you can park at one of more than 170 TA, Petro or TA Express truck stops that have designated walking trails.
There's no need to complicate fitness, and there is definitely no need to complicate walking. Shoot for that 15-minute goal each day, whether you do it in five-minute increments or go all in and get that 15 minutes checked off before you go in to shower for the evening.
You've got this!