Get to know our corporate chef, Chef Nevin Irvin! Chef Nevin has been in professional kitchens for more than 18 years. Now, he uses those skills to introduce new and nutritious dishes to the Country Pride and Iron Skillet menus. Between testing new menu items and fine-tuning your favorites, he's definitely got a lot cooking!
Today, Chef Nevin is sharing his recipe for protein-packed Refried Black Beans. Whether you enjoy these beans as a side dish, or you use them as an ingredient for a burrito, this is one recipe you're definitely going to want to hold onto.
Chef Nevin's Refried Black Beans
- 16 oz Black Beans, Rinsed
- 1/4 Cup Red Bell Pepper, Small Dice (Optional)
- 1/4 Cup Green Bell Pepper, Small Dice (Optional)
- 1/4 Cup Onion, Small Dice
- 3/4 Cup Chicken Stock or Broth
- 1/2 tsp Cumin, Ground
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tbsp Canola Oil
- Place 1 Tbsp of canola oil in saute pan and heat on medium-high heat.
- Next, place onions and red and green peppers into pan.
- Cook until onions are transparent.
- Add cumin, garlic, smoked paprika and stock.
- Bring stock to a boil.
- Once stock has reached a boil, add beans and salsa, cover pan.
- Continue to cook until beans are heated through.
- Using a potato masher or the side of a spoon or spatula, smash beans and reduce heat.
- Allow to cook for approximately 8 minutes. The beans should look like a paste. Add salt to taste.
- A potato masher works best, but you can smash beans with anything that has a flat side and fits in your pan.
- Don't salt your beans until the end - salt can make the skin tough.
Looking for more tasty dishes? Stop into a Country Pride or Iron Skillet to try more of Chef Nevin's creations. We'll see you on the road!