Chef Nevin Irvin is helping to keep you going while you're on the road! With more than 18 years in professional kitchens, Chef Nevin has been cooking up the tastiest meals. Now, he uses those skills to introduce new and nutritious dishes to the Country Pride and Iron Skillet menus. Between testing new menu items and fine-tuning your favorites, he's definitely got a lot cooking!
Chef Nevin Irvin is showing you his recipe for this family favorite! Try his version of his Lola’s Hot Bacon Dressing Over Greens today.
Chef Nevin's Lola’s Hot Bacon Dressing Over Greens
- 6 Bacon Strips
- 1/4 C. Sugar
- 1/3 C. Vinegar, White Wine
- 2.5 T. Flour
- 1 C. Milk
- 1 Each Egg
- 1.5 tsp. Salt
- As Needed Fresh Cracked Pepper
- 1 Bulk Fennel
- 1 Bunch Kale
- Chop bacon into 1/2” chunks and cook.
- Remove bacon from the pan and set aside & turn heat off of oil.
- Cut the fronds and stems off of the fennel bulb. Cut the base of the bulb off to give you a solid base for cutting and slice fennel into 1/4” slices (they should resemble strips of onions).
- Next heat a sauté pan with oil and sauté fennel. It should have a bit of caramelization on it and be translucent.
- While the fennel is cooking, Cut the center of the kale leaves out an discard. Chop the rest of the kale and set aside.
- Mix together flour, sugar, vinegar, milk, egg, and salt. Whisk well.
- When bacon fat has cooled slightly, Turn pan with bacon fat back on to medium, and slowly add the mixture whisking constantly.
- Allow mixture to come to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer for another 2-3 minutes. Add bacon bits back to the dressing.
- Add Kale to fennel and then pour dressing over mixing until you have the desired amount of dressing on your vegetables. You may find you have leftover dressing depending on how you prefer yours.
- Remove the fennel and the kale and sub in your favorite leafy green. Endive, arugula, dandelion or even lettuce!
Looking for more tasty dishes? Stop into a Country Pride and Iron Skillet to try more of Chef Nevin's creations. We'll see you on the road!