Chef Nevin Irvin is helping to keep you going while you're on the road! With more than 18 years in professional kitchens, Chef Nevin has been cooking up the tastiest meals. Now, he uses those skills to introduce new and nutritious dishes to the Country Pride and Iron Skillet menus. Between coming up with and testing new menu items and fine-tuning your favorites, he's definitely got a lot cooking!
Chef Nevin Irvin wants to show you his recipe for this extra-filling delicious dish! Try his recipe for Crispy Garbanzo Beans and Beef today.
Chef Nevin's Crispy Garbanzo Beans and Beef
- 1.5 lbs. Ground Beef
- 2 - 15 Oz. Can Chick Peas, Drained (SAVE LIQUID of 1 Can)
- 2.5 tsp. Cumin
- 2.5 tsp. Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black pepper
- As Needed Olive Oil—Canola Oil
- As Needed Fresh Cilantro
- Strain garbanzo beans keeping all of the liquid for later in the recipe.
- Mix cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper into a small mixing bowl , whisk, and set aside.
- In large sauté pan, heat oil.
- When oil is hot, place ground beef in stirring constantly to break the meat into small pieces.
- When ground beef is cooked, add the garbanzo beans and stir.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes Garbanzo beans will start browning and begin to pop. (if mixture begins to stick, don’t worry, you will remove on the next step)
- Pour in seasoning and the liquid from one can of the garbanzo beans and stir with a whisk to loosen the mixture that has stuck to the sides.
- Cook for an additional 3-5 minutes and then serve.
Garbanzo beans should still be whole and have a bite to them. If they have become mashed, the beans are being overcooked.
To enhance: Sub out oil for butter. Add 1 large or 2 small shallots to butter and sweat until translucent. Add olive oil after beef if needed and heat before adding beans.
Looking for more tasty dishes? Stop into a Country Pride and Iron Skillet to try more of Chef Nevin's creations. We'll see you on the road!