Chef Nevin Irvin is helping to keep you going while you're on the road! With more than 18 years in professional kitchens, Chef Nevin has been cooking up the tastiest meals. Now, he uses those skills to introduce new and nutritious dishes to the Country Pride and Iron Skillet menus. Between testing new menu items and fine-tuning your favorites, he's definitely got a lot cooking!
Chef Nevin Irvin is back to show you his recipe for this seasonal staple! Try his version of Chicken and Dumplings today.
Chef Nevin's Chicken & Dumplings
- 1.5 lbs. Boneless, Skinless Chicken
- 1 Small Spanish Onion
- 1 C Celery, Diced
- 1 C Sliced Baby Carrots
- 1 C Peas, Frozen
- 5 C Chicken Broth
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic, Minced
- 1/2 tsp. Thyme
- 1/4 tsp. Sage, Ground
- 1/2 C Heavy Cream
- 1/4+1.5 C Flour
- 1.5 Tbsp. Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 Each Egg
- 3/4 C Buttermilk
- 3 Tbsp. Butter
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- To Taste Salt & Pepper
- Heat 3 Tbsp. of oil in a Dutch oven.
- Dice chicken into 1” chunks.
- Place chicken into the hot oil to sear. When the chicken has seared, remove it from the pot and set aside.
- Add 3 Tbsp. butter to the pan and allow to melt.
- Add onions, celery, and carrots to the pot and sweat on medium heat.
- When onions are translucent add the sage, garlic, and thyme and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup of flour to the mixture and allow to cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the chicken broth to the pot and whisk to evenly distribute the flour.
- Next add the chicken back to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Add Peas to the pot and bring back to a simmer.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- For the dumplings, mix 1.5 C flour, salt and baking powder together.
- Mix the egg & buttermilk in a separate bowl.
- Combine all ingredients (the dough will be wet and sticky).
- Use a small ice cream scoop or a teaspoon to make evenly sized dumplings.
- Reduce heat to low, drop in dough one at a time ensuring they do not touch when first going into the broth.
- When all dumplings are in the pot, cover with lid and allow to cook for 6-8 minutes.
- Once dumplings are done (Dumplings are done when poked with a toothpick and the pick comes out clean), whisk in heavy cream, turn up pot to medium and bring to a simmer.
- Turn off chicken and dumplings and serve.
- In a pinch for time? Buy a rotisserie chicken, cut into chunks, and start the recipe on step 4!
Looking for more tasty dishes? Stop into a Country Pride and Iron Skillet to try more of Chef Nevin's creations. We'll see you on the road!